On finishing projects

Two of the many reasons that encouraged me to start up a fabric shop was that I hoped to spend a great part of my day among colourful and modern fabric; and also I had the naive thought that I was going to have a lot of spare time to sew. The first part was true, the second one not so. Partly this is my fault because I could be a touch more organised and partly because all of you have kept me busy cutting and packing fabric for you to sew.

Do not be offended, I am not complaining, quite the opposite actually; which this leads to one of the most gratifying aspects of my job, seeing your finished things. Even when I have done nothing, I am very proud when you share a photo of something that you made in our Flickr group and in Facebook, or even in Twitter.

So this is my time to show off a bit, and show you what I have done during the weekend.

I used Four Petals in Jelly from Just Wing It collection as the main fabric.

This clutch is very simple and very practical. For the exterior fabric I used Four Petals in Jelly by Momo and for the lining I went for the more subtle pattern of Stripe in Jam also by Momo.

It is easy and quick to make, I could have finished it the same day that I started it, but I got side tracked with other things that I want to make for next week. So the key for me is to stay focused, no distractions, no “what if I use this same fabric for this other bag?”, or “what if I make it larger and add some embroidery?”.

I am seriously thinking on writing a list with everything that I want to make, and start ticking boxes every time I finish something and not add more things unless half of the things on the list are finished. Easier said than done, but I am going to give it a try. Maybe this way I will get more things finished.

Do you have a “system” to keep on top of your projects? Do projects move from the Wish List to the Done List? It would be very interesting to hear from you :)

Stripe in Jam by Momo make a perfect lining.

Tags: , , ,

8 Responses to “On finishing projects”

1. Mary says:

Nothing wrong with lists! It can be so hard, I’ve got better over the years, just discipline, I won’t start anything else until this is finished, and it seems to work – I guess we call that willpower! I do write lists (part of that is because I have so much going on with 3 children it is the only way to focus!), I joined in summer sewing plans at FairyFaceDesigns, I think if you go public with your plans you might feel more obliged to finish! It is massively satisfying when you can tick!

2. Sarah says:

I seem to have more & more WIP’s and lots of quilt tops waiting for backs etc. I was determined not to be like that but like you say – there are just too many possibilities!!

I have a favourites folder with images of inspiration/items I would like to have a go at and am trying to work through that, but I also have a passion to create my own designs – hence the ever growing WIP pile. Hey ho – will watch this with interest to see if anyone has any organisational tips I can snag!

3. lizzet says:

Hi Mary
    I know you are very good finishing things and it is a great idea about making it public, it kind of pushes you in a nice way. And it is such a great idea about sharing it in FairyFaceDesigns, you also can get a lot of inspiration on what others are doing ;)

4. lizzet says:

Hi Sarah
    I have just seen your blog and it doesn’t matter that you haven’t finishes the quilts, the tops are gorgeous! I do have a folder with my favourites, but I think I need to go through it because it would take me a lifetime to finish all those projects, even if I don’t add any more!

5. Judith says:

I have a long To Do list. I never start a new project until I have finished what I am working on otherwise my initial excitement for what I am making goes and I don’t enjoy it so much.
    The clutch is lovely. Next I would like to see your graphite skirt!!!

6. lizzet says:

Wow Judith! You have always surprised me, no wonder the things that you have made are so pretty and your finished details are perfect, it is a lot about keeping focused on one thing at a time and not letting your mind go from one thing to another without touching base.
    With regards to my unfinished projects….well, I think I just need to tell you what I have not finished and you can act like my conscience! The skirt is still unfinished, had to undo it, happy to say that it was a touch too big and because it had pockets I was just not happy with just tucking in. I’ll show you some pics when finished.

7. Claire says:

I’ve not written down the list as I am worried that my other half will find it and wonder where I will find the time to do it all!! And he keeps on making suggestions of things for me to make that are not pretty (mainly things to keep him and his motorcycles more organised….).

I have just bought the Amy Butler book on bags from John Lewis and will be ploughing my way through that. I shall be back here to drool over the pretty fabrics and hopefully make a decision about what to make it in. I’ve found her website to be quite good as well as there are free patterns to download.

8. lizzet says:

Hi Claire!
    Good point about keeping the list away from OH… saying that mine laughs at my list as he know it is a bit too long!
    Regarding the Amy Butler book, I also got it and I have written a review about it too. I have done the Cosmo Bag and I am making 2 origami bags, will post pics next week. xx