Lesson learned

I have been planning to make a Barcelona Skirt.  In fact I have been planning it for the last three years.  A few weeks ago I chose the fabric, I cut it and I even sewed the zip on.  Then lots of other little projects and distractions came by, and the pieces of the soon-to-be-skirt were left neatly folded… OK let’s just leave it at folded on the side.

So last Saturday was the day that I was going to finally finish it.  That was it, I had made the decision.  So after breakfast, I packed my fabrics, pattern and my best intentions and headed to my sewing club.

Where is the skirt you might ask?  There is no skirt.  I couldn’t finish it.  Why?  It is only a simple A-line skirt!!!  Well everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong.  I was not in the mood, but I pushed it.  And as you would expect things kept going wrong.  All that went through my mind was “I can do this, I have done more complicated things that this and much faster”; I thought other things too but it would not be appropriate to mention them in a blog like this.

Large Floral (Botanica) and Thistle Leaf (Hope Valley) fabrics

To make a long and painful story short, I folded the pieces once again, put them in my bag, gathered all my bits and pieces together (by this I mean my shattered confidence and bad mood) and left.

Needless to say this is not the first time it has ever happened to me.  I should know better; I should stop when things start going wrong, not in a defeated way, but in a wiser “this is not the right time for it” way.  I will finish the skirt this week or maybe the following.  I will proudly show you photos of it, but for now I am just going to go and read a good book and relax.

Have you had days like this?

Tags: , , ,

16 Responses to “Lesson learned”

1. Suzy says:

I do the same mistake too. Get too excited about a project and just want to get on with it. Usually the results are not the best. It’s better (but not easier) to stop when tired/unsure, etc.

2. Dragonfly says:

Yup! Often! I’m on a temporary roll at the moment and trying to make it last!

3. ruth says:

Oh I’ve had this happen! Its so horrably disapointing, but I’m sure it will be ok – a cup of tea and a few days of it being hidden helps.

4. Leah Taylor says:

I totally feel your pain. It’s awful when a project just isn’t working. I’ve become much better at recognising it though, and now if something starts to go wrong I try to put it down and come back to it later. It’s so much better to do that and then come back fresh a bit later, rather than get so frustrated with it that it ends up back on the shelf for another year (ahem… that’s happened to me a LOT!) I am absolutely terrible at sewing in the evenings, the poor light in my flat doesn’t help either — in fact I’ve just come to the PC after sewing my baby some knicker-things and that went so wrong, the machine jammed, aaargh…. !!

5. Laura says:

Oh, this makes so much sense. There are days when just nothing *works*, aren’t there? Things all have their own time, I think, and you just have to go with what works for you on the day. Sorry it didn’t work out, but hopefully you can come back to it in a better mood soon. Look forward to seeing the results, because those are gorgeous fabrics :)

6. Big sympathies from me… It’s so difficult when you’re excited about an idea – you want to get it done quickly and things start to go wrong. That’s one of the reasons I’ve decided to stop taking anything but the simplest commission orders…. it’s even worse when you make a mistake with someone else’s fabric!!

7. Hi there, I am a professionally trained costumier, and I still have days like that! Worst thing is when I’m on a deadline and have to keep working on the project that’s going wrong, that’s a real confidence killer. I’ve delivered costumes and felt really badly that it’s not up to scratch, and that I’m the worst maker in the world!
    For me it’s usually that I’m over tired or stressed, but there are just days when you really don’t feel like doing it! On those days if I can I do something else instead.

Good luck with the Barcelona skirt. I’m sure it will be worth the wait.

Cl x

8. Silvia says:

Lizzet te entiendo perfectamente y comparto tu pesar. A mi también me ha pasado lo mismo … Hace poco me puse a hacerle un vestido a Ana, la primera vez que hacia ese tipo de vestido con un pliegue en medio, un zipper y un forro… una semana entera arrancandome los pelos, un dia aun y estando cansada le segui hasta no se que horas, fué peor…tuve que comenzar todo de nuevo… como bien dices a veces es mejor dejar las cosas un poco de lado, por un tiempo, reflexionarlas y después seguir…
    Te mando un abrazote…cuando puedas escribéme…
    Cuidate mucho

9. [...] on October 21, 2010 by veryberryhandmade Over at The Fabric Loft, Lizzet has been blogging about the perils of pushing on with a sewing project when you’re really not in a creative mood.. I can relate to her frustrations – so often [...]

10. Jenny says:

Oh I can so understand your frustration. I’m terrible at not excepting when I should stop sewing and call it a day. Thank goodness for seam rippers!
    Looking forward to seeing your end results. I bought the Barcelona pattern in the summer and still haven’t got round to giving it a go, any advice on the pattern will be gratefully received .
    Good luck Jenny

11. Dianna says:

You know what, I do this quite regularly, in fact the more pressure I am under at my sewing machine, or sometimes the more pressure I put myself under for no apparent reason, the worse the project goes, no matter how simple it is. I keep on reminding myself when it all goes wrong, that next time I will leave it alone….until the next time. One day soon I will live it and have learnt that. Hopefully.

12. I often have days like that, in a creative way and in a regular “life” kind of way. Definitely the best thing is to put it down to a bad day at the office and tackle it another time. Don’t feel defeated, just know that it will be a better use of your time to approach it when you’re in the right frame of mind!!
    Tracey x

13. Lucy Brodie says:

Whilst eating my lunch at work I thought I would catch up on your blog; this entry had me laughing out loud because it sounds like you are describing me! The jacket I made last year is still hung up without any buttons as every time I attempt them something goes wrong so I think I’ll resort to velcro or poppers instead of buttons! I just can not settle down to concentrate on it so I’ve left it on a hanger on the side of the wardrobe for over 12 months now!
    Also, when I’m upholstering a chair, I can not do some stages all in one go otherwise I know I’ll mess it up and then be angry with myself later.
    Dare I ask, have you finished your skirt now?
    Lucy x

14. Yoս can get the cleanest prints from tɦе Epson printers.

Ιn short, tҺe result саn bе called decentt fօr office documents оf tҺе
    Һighest quality. Forr people whoo plan οn hitting tҺe printer’s monthly capability tҺis
    savings ϲɑn show dramatic гesults оνer time.

Feel free tߋ surf tօ my website:
    toner cartridges albuquerque

15. If you are usinng a printer оn a LAN connection, уοu ѡill Һave tߋ input ʏօur network іnformation
    ѵia tҺіs display befote ʏοu ԝill ƅе
    able tο fully setup and use tɦе
    printer. Yоu աould ԝant еvery detaill ߋf
    yοur Һome’s interior design tօ bear a mark оf ƴߋur touch.
    ʜowever, Windows XP should ԝork, aas іt ɦas
    thе ѕame base аs NT.

Feel free tο visit my ρage:
    Send me Toners

16. The trustworthiness house removals kendal օf thе company аnd іts
    services. Τɦe code thbat already սѕes tҺe DLL’s lookup table aand tҺе lookup table iis modified at runtime tօ ρoint
    tο tҺе actuaal locations іn thе program.

These аге basically tɦе examplss that ѡould sɦow
    you how іt looks. While Linux servers ɑге cheap aոd free ѕometimes, Windows оnes ɑre ԛuite expensive option.

Ңere is myy web-site :: http://itswallpaper.com/profile/nicholetov